Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Eve

It dawns on me, as I sit here in the lobby of a church, that I was hoping and expecting more from this holiday season. I guess I should have been more specific in that request.

I did get more than I asked for. I've been able to see my friends and family and celebrate with them. What I wasn't looking for was to become the lead matriarch, taking care of my parents and getting them ready for a move out of their home. That's a lot of stress to add to the already stressful holiday season. I'm not quite ready for this next step, but know it has to be done for the health and welfare of my parents. I’m glad that this 
doesn't have to be done immediately, but within the next couple of months, which is still a crazy time-frame.


So, here we are, me writing on my new kindle, enjoying the peace and quiet of the church lobby, people watching, and reflecting on the events of the past week. And you, dear reader, listening in on my thoughts and fears. Soon a new year will be upon us. Many changes are about to occur in my life and I don't feel prepared for any of them. Jen keeps telling me that as long as we're together we can get through anything. I have to believe that this is true as we have been through and dealt with a lot of crap, and are still together. She's usually the planner and worrier, but I seem to have taken that role over, at least for the time being. So, I'll try to remember that this is only temporary and to breath. I've been told that not breathing is bad and I'd have to agree with that sentiment since most of the dead people I've known don't do it anymore.

How do you handle the stress of the holidays? Is it hitting the Tom & Jerry or Eggnog a bit hard, lots of mulled wine, a book and earplugs, loud music, a warm fire and your pets? I’d love to hear your ideas of how you keep yourself sane.

Enjoy the peace and quiet of your holiday season. My wish for all of you is that you find joy and solace in your family and friends during this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment